Craving tacos but trying to stay away from tortillas? Our Chicken & Avocado “tacos” provide a healthy and delicious alternative to a classic dish. All the flavor and none of the guilt!
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 head of iceberg or Bibb lettuce
- 1 lb. of chicken breast, thinly sliced and cut in strips
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. of salt
- ½ black pepper
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 avocados, peeled, pit removed, cut in small dice
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded, cut in small dice
- ½ red onion, small dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, small dice(optional)
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of one lime
- Garnish: Cilantro, finely chopped, leaves only
- To clean the lettuce, remove outer leaves that may be wilted. Locate the core of the lettuce and cut it out with a knife. Rinse leaves under cool running water and pat dry. Set aside.
- Patdry chicken strips.
- In small bowl mixonion and garlic powders, smoked paprika,salt and pepper. Season chicken with 1 tablespoon of canola oil and dry rub on both sides. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium – high heat and add the rest of the canola oil. Sauté chicken for 4 to 5 minutes or until done and golden. Set aside.
- 5- In a bowl place tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, and olive oil. Toss ingredients.
- 6- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7- Place lettuce leaves in a plate. Add chicken, top with tomato mixture. Garnish with avocado cubes and cilantro. Roll as in a taco. Enjoy!